Open ASP File
ASP file extension is commonly associated with web based applications provided on a Microsoft IIS. It stands for Active Server Pages. Dynamic website under Windows platform uses this type of extension. This format is commonly used for websites running business-to-business solutions.
ASP is a server-side scripting language bundled with Microsoft's IIS. It can be used to connect to different databases such as MSSQL and MySQL as the backend technology. Files with this extension are mostly written with similar commands as of VBScript. These commands are embedded on a plain HTML page, but saved with an ASP extension. ASP scripts starts with <% and end with %> to distinguish it from the rest of the HTML code.
First release of this extension was with IIS 3.0 under ASP 1.0 in December 1996. With some limitations with applications developed under this extension, Microsoft decided to create ASP.Net with file extension ASPX, a more robust file type.
Since this includes Active Scripting it can be use for malicious intent. Objects of this extension can be coded to search for files on a host computer posing a threat as a spyware.
Web browsers including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari and others are able to open this extension through request done from the servers. Other applications such as DreamWeaver and Frontpage can open this extension, but cannot execute embedded commands without installed servers.
Since ASP file is a text file you can open any ASP file using text editor. But it will be more efficient to edit ASP files using specialized software development tools like Visual Studio.
Open ASP File on Windows OS
- Find a ASP file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the ASP file in question.
- If you know the application which can open ASP file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open ASP file then try to search for "ASP wiki", "application to open ASP file" or "ASP file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open ASP file
Rate this page: 4/5 based on 15 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open ASP files, file extension asp and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...